In The News
Sexual abuse, misconduct allegations kept quiet for decades at world-renowned Colorado Center for the Blind
By David Gilbert
4:03 AM MST on Nov 18, 2021Updated 4:55 PM MST on Nov 7, 2022
More than a dozen previously unreported instances of sexual misconduct and abuse spanning at least two decades at the Colorado Center for the Blind in Littleton have surfaced during an internal investigation of the school’s parent organization.
Among the offenses were the alleged sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl by a summer youth camp counselor in 2001, of which police have no record; a teacher accused of sexually harassing students in 2019 who was hired despite school leadership allegedly knowing he had faced accusations of unwanted sexual contact at another school; and a teacher who admitted he engaged in a sexual relationship with a 19-year-old student in violation of school policy.
…
Many of the accusers’ claims could expose CCB and its leadership to civil liability, said Laura Wolf, the managing partner of Spark Justice Law, a Denver-based, civil rights law firm. She also is an adjunct professor at the Sturm College of Law at the University of Denver.
Some claims, including the accusation that CCB leadership failed to report the sexual assault of a 13-year-old, could constitute violations of Colorado’s mandatory reporter law, Wolf said, except that the statute of limitations to pursue charges has expired. Wolf said some more recent accusations may also constitute mandatory reporter law violations, which are misdemeanors under Colorado law.
Read more at The Colorado Sun.